Friday, December 11, 2009

The Magnificat

My Soul Proclaims the Greatness of the Lord

Today Luke's gospel account of the Magnificat (Lk 1:46-48) is the reading:
"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord:
my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness;
behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.
Mary rejoices because of what God has done, not because of what she has done. And she knows that she personally will be forever linked to that miracle. She realised just how good God is. I can rejoice with that.

Here are two songs that have been written about the Magnificat.

John Michael Talbot, America's number one Catholic recording artist, and is the founder of the monastic community, Brothers and Sisters of Charity. Originally raised in a Methodist family, he wandered spiritually for a while after childhood, settling back into Christianity within the Catholic Church. He has written many. many songs and recorded many, many albums of glorious inspiring music. Here is his rendition of "Holy is His Name"



Here is another favourite of mine called "My Soul Rejoices".



No comments: