Monday, March 29, 2010

The Spiritual Gift of Prophecy

Ever Wondered?

At various times in my life, the Lord has given me a word of prophecy, really a word of wisdom, for a person, or group of persons.  Sometimes I know it because it is clearly not me.  I mean it is my voice, but the words are forming on my lips not in my brain.

Frankly, I am well aware of my own sinfulness, and as a sinner, it is somewhat embarrassing to me to speak wisdom to someone, while trying against the forces of evil dwelling in me, mainly, to be virtuous, particularly when whomever I have a word for knows what a fool I am day to day.

On a couple of occasions lately, I have felt something percolating up inside of me, and being a pragmatist, I want to be sure that what pops out will be of God, not of me.  So, I have held back, and prayed to God to make sure it is Him not me that will be speaking.  Each time that I have done this, the word has almost forced itself out of me, to a point where keeping it in would be harder than letting it out.  Then, I am pretty sure that it is the Lord speaking, and using me as an instrument.

Then today I was over at Anne Bender's blog and read something in her header that got my attention.  I had no idea that what I was doing was biblical in origin.  Jeremiah wrote about it when he said: "I say to myself, I will not mention His name, I will speak in His name no more. But then, it becomes like a fire burning in my heart, imprisoned in my bones, I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it." Jeremiah 20:7-10.


Don't get me wrong.  We are talking a big difference here.  Jeremiah was a PROPHET of God.  Me, I get these little prophecies from time to time.

No comments: