Friday, April 16, 2010

Words to Live By

Deacon George Sebok

For many years, 25 more than likely, I have spent time in prayer with a Christian brother that I love dearly, one of several.  But, Deacon George used to be just George, the tailor, and answered a call on his heart that is very fruitful for him and for those whom he encouters.

Several years ago, prior to the automobile accident that disabled me, and when Deacon George was just starting his seminary work to become a deacon, we used to meet every morning at St. Joseph Church, and pray the Divine Office, and listen to anything that God might have to tell us.

This morning, my dear friend and I had breakfast together after praying at the chapel at St. George Parish, where we now meet.

George started to remember words that had been given to us by the Lord over a period of a few weeks.  I have to tell you that remembering what was said 7 years ago for a 60 year old man with a brain injury, and a 65 year old pensioner deacon was cause for much laughter, as we would forget then remember, and then forget again as we tried to recall the 4 things that the Lord had told us back then.

The 4 things that we were told as words of knowledge finally came to us and they were as follows:
1) Let go and let God.
2) Take captive your thoughts.
3) Die to self.
and
4) Put God first in all things.
As George recalls it, the word about taking thoughts captive came through me.  As I recall it that word came through him.  As we tried to recall them all, George remembered the third one, and then a few minutes later, I asked him again what it was.  Five minutes later I asked him again what it was.  Finally, I put them all into the notes section of my iPod, and now can relate them to you.

These are all scripturally based, and are wise things to remember and meditate on from time to time.  Often the hardest one for me, and the one that has come to mind most often is about taking thoughts captive, not entertaining every thought that hits my brain.

I hope to ponder more on these and speak with my deacon buddy about them further, and share with you some of the lessons we have learned about them and from them over the intervening years.

No comments: