Saturday, July 10, 2010

Got Me Thinking

Sacred Music

For much of my life I was a musician, and for several of those years, I played guitar and/or piano in contemporary choirs.  I love that style of music, and participated in the writing of many pieces for prayer groups and also mass parts.

But this video gave me pause to think.

Sacred Music is different than Praise music.  There is a time and place for Praise and Worship, and in fact in the Mass we are worshipping our Dear Saviour, but we are joining ourselves as His Body to His Death on the Cross, and His institution before He died of the Eucharist.  The mass is not entertainment, but a time of adoration.

I wonder if we need to rethink music for Mass, and when I think back to my childhood, and the organ music of the time, and the reverence of liturgy then, I have to wonder if there is something to this.

Hmmm!!



Can you tell the difference?? from Corpus Christi Watershed on Vimeo.

No comments: